Fingering, where a woman’s partner uses their fingers to stroke her genitals or insert them into her vagina, is a common practice that many couples use in addition to or as an alternative to penetrative sex. However, many women worry ‘Can fingering cause pregnancy?’, or that fingering may lead to sexually transmitted infections. In this article, we give you the facts about fingering, if you can become pregnant from fingering, and the precautions you can take.
Can Fingering Cause Pregnancy?
Fingering alone can’t cause pregnancy, but if a male partner has ejaculate (cum) or pre-ejaculate (pre-cum) on his fingers and inserts them into a girl’s vagina, there is a very small chance of fingering pregnancy.
However, there is a far greater risk of infection from fingering, so it is essential that your partner washes their hands thoroughly before touching you. You also need to ensure that neither of you have any cuts or sores on your hands or genitals.
Remember that if you have any questions or issues about your or your partner’s sexual health, you need to speak to your doctor or other healthcare professional.
Tips and Precautions for Fingering
- Prior to fingering, make sure both partners have clean hands to prevent harmful bacteria coming into contact with either the vagina or the urethra.
- The urethra, the opening of the urinary canal, is particularly sensitive and is easily irritated. Urinary tract infections can occur due to any sexual activity in which contact is made with the urethra. To prevent irritation and infection, urinate before and after urethral stimulation, and drink enough water daily.
- Make sure your partner has short and filed fingernails so fingering doesn’t tear the sensitive genital area.
- Have lubricant to hand if you need it; regardless of how wet a woman gets when she’s excited, this moisture can be easily wiped away, and dry rubbing can make her feel sore.
- It is important to create the right atmosphere. Try some sensual foreplay with bubble baths, massages, body lotions and oil, or any other creative method to get you both in the mood.
This article has some further information about the chances of pregnancy during various sexual activities, such as “can I get pregnant if sperm gets on my privates”